5-Axis cutting is a system that adds an additional A-axis (angle from perpendicular) and C-axis (rotation around the Z-axis) to your waterjet cutting. This opens up 3-Dimensional cutting abilities at angles from 0 degrees to 90 degrees. With WARDJet’s 5-AXIS Infini Winder, you can also continuously spin in one direction infinitely, with no cables to wrap up, making it one of the most accurate 5-Axis cutting heads in the industry. You can find more information about WARDJet’s 5-Axis cutting systems here.
Switching from 2D to 3D cutting is not for the faint of heart and requires a bit of a learning curve. If you’re itching to give 5-Axis cutting a whirl, keep these five tips in mind before you start cutting:
- Reduce the number of times you have to calibrate your 5-Axis cutting head by using a diamond orifice. You’ll also achieve a better cutting performance.
- Practice, practice, practice! Before actually cutting the part, try out a few dry runs on your machine first. This will avoid unforeseen situations from happening, like when the abrasive hose is too short to reach or the cutting head airline is too short when it leans over to 45 degrees.
- Keep your grates in good condition and create a plane level to the cutting head to optimize performance.
- Invest in good quality CAM software that gives you everything that you need. For example, do you want to cut basic bevels added to a 2Dcontour or full 3D models that represent the angled cut?
- Save time by piercing the material at a 2D piercing. This allows the jet to pierce the shortest distance through the material. The angled piercing will allow some of the waterjet to get reflected and will lose efficiency piercing. The exception is with soft materials, which requires water-only cutting.
Need more information?
For more details on how to cut with a 5-Axis cutting head, complete our online contact form or call us at 1-844-WARDJET. To order waterjet parts and accessories, click here.